Sunday, December 24, 2006

Home on the Range



I arrived at the Denver airport (on time) yesterday afternoon to find the place looking somewhat lived in after the snowstorm that closed it down for two days. The line for security stretched around the baggage claim (pretty significant, given the size of the airport), and there were announcements asking people to wait until four hours before their flight to get in line. Four hours!

Two hours down the road, the snow was melted but my sparsely-populated hometown had made international news for its own severe weather: a tumbleweed blizzard. The wind had been high and this summer must have been a bumper time for tumbleweeds, because they piled up so high at the front of my parents' house that they rolled over the roof and filled up the back deck--my mom could only let the dog out the side door. (Disclaimer: I have no idea where this photo was taken. One would think that when tumbleweeds make the international news there should be lots of pictures of them online, but no such luck. However, this could very well be Pueblo West).

Each time I leave Pueblo (it's a little east of Pueblo West, for the uninitiated) I forget just how desolate and depressing this place is. Maybe it would help if I didn't always visit in the dead of winter, when it's brown and windy most of the time, with no natural greenery to alleviate the stark ugliness of the box stores and paycheck loan places and the lonesome stucco houses.

5 comments:

towwas said...

I heard about that on the news this morning and wondered if that was you!! Take pictures!!

Deano said...

ah the green green grass of home :)

I've always wanted to see tumbleweeds, I've always had this romantic image of America with them tumbling along the streets.

Coloradan said...

Romantic indeed. I'd offer to bring you back one or two, but I don't think they'd pack well.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I usually don't feel bad about the 'Blo until I read your blogs about how miserable our hometown is. Thanks. Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Brown because it is the dead of winter? It's brown there, from what I have seen, all the time. Remember sky diving and seeing the cactus that had died because it was so dry? At least the color of the rocks are red. Brown dirt, red rocks, blue sky, primer grey cars. What more can you ask for?