Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Ow



Picture this: I'm sparring in tae kwon do. I jump up, spin 540 degrees and kick my six-foot-tall partner on the side of the head so hard that he flies across the room. I bruise my foot in the process.

What actually happened was that I was doing forms, which are these sort of formal routines--not upper-level forms, but forms that involve a lot of emphatically stepping into new positions and punching and such--and I stepped wrong. I fell pretty dramatically, which is more embarrassing when you're doing something like stepping emphatically into a new position than it is when you're doing something that's actually... hard. But I prefer that you continue visualizing the first scenario.

Being clumsy, I've rolled my ankle plenty of times, and I've always been fine. But now I'm a little worried that I might have broken a bone in my foot (ironically, just three days into my new workout-six-days-a-week regimen). I think it's just a bruise, though. I'll see how it feels in the morning.

5 comments:

towwas said...

Dude! Yuck! Also, I'll stick with the first scenario!

Anonymous said...

What the ...? The bruise looks like it's swollen to the size of an orange. I advise getting a CAT scan.

Deano said...

well you've cured my foot fetish!

Anonymous said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!

Greg Rairdan said...

Nice photo - way to turn me off my lunch. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it's not broke - I punched a wall super hard last year (don't ask) and my wrist swelled up like a balloon and was unusable. But after 2 months (and a free X-ray from my chiropactor friend) everything was fine!