Thursday, September 14, 2006

Kitchen island



My kitchen literally has no counter space. My microwave had been sitting in a box on the floor until last night. I intended to buy a kitchen island, and looked at many on craigslist, but there were logistical problems: getting a truck to carry it with, and perhaps timing the purchase so that there'd be a friend around to help me haul it to and from the truck.

But last night I saw a sign posted in the elevator and decided to take advantage of an even better resource than Zipcar and visiting friends: an apartment sale in my building. After all, people in my building face the same no-counter-space problem I do, and it's easy to talk them in to helping me haul stuff up to my place in the elevator. So I picked up this lovely kitchen island for $50, including the cutting board. It's perfect. The tea kettle was another $2.

Last night's other big event was that I got disc 1 of Season 2 of The Office, fresh out on DVD, and felt compelled to watch all six episodes (with deleted scenes) so that I could get another disc for the weekend. Satisfying, yes, but it took me until 12:30 and I felt more easily-annoyed than usual today.

Speaking of annoying, I've stopped getting HBO and Showtime. One disadvantage of stealing cable is that one can't complain about such things, at least not to the cable company. I'm stuck with hoping my premium channels will come back someday.

3 comments:

towwas said...

Ooh, kitchen island, nice! Bummer about it blocking the window, but I guess it's nice to have the shelves on the back - because shelves are nice, and because then crap can't roll off the back.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about the office, have you ever seen extra's?
The ones with Kate Winslet, Les Dennis in them are cringetastic!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extras-1-Ricky-Gervais/dp/B000ANDBSK/sr=8-1/qid=1158349561/ref=pd_ka_1/026-5264435-1551653?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

towwas said...

Ooh yes! Somehow I ended up with a copy of the first few episodes of Extras - can't remember if it was a giveaway in a magazine or a review copy from work. Anyway, it was hilaaaarious. Particularly the Kate Winslet one. I have it saved in my Netflix queue, but it hasn't come out yet. :(