Saturday, July 29, 2006

Exploring

I am a lazy person. I've been in DC for over two weeks now, and have I been downtown to admire the monuments? No. Have I finished organizing my apartment? Found a new tae kwon do school? No and no. Do I have a rollicking social life that consumes all my time and thus prevents me from doing anything remotely productive? Also no.

However, I am happy to report that yesterday on my way home from work I finally went to see the park across the street from my building. And I have pictures to prove it.

This one, for example. Not being an expert on these things, I'm nevertheless pretty sure this statue of Joan of Arc has no artistic merit, but it seems like a cutely quaint thing to find in a park, particularly since the plaque is in French.

For lunch today I got ambitious enough to venture out to Meze. I've been reading Middlesex, which takes place partly in Anatolia and probably gave me the idea that I wanted Mediterranean cuisine.

I can't claim this was really exploring because I'd been there with K and been pretty excited to find a real Turkish restaurant. Today I got to see their brunch menu, though, which includes Turkish breakfast. Some months ago I got a sudden craving for Turkish breakfast, which includes olives and salty cheese and cucumbers and a hard-boiled egg, among other things, but at the time the only place I knew of to get it was... Turkey. Now I know where to go my Turkish breakfast fix.

1 comment:

towwas said...

Not to worry - the monuments will still be there in the fall, when it will also be less hot out and the Mall will (bonus!) be less swamped by fat people in shorts and American flag t-shirts.