Sunday, October 08, 2006

Questions and answers


Last night I finally figured out how to use the corkscrew on my Swiss Army knife. The approach I had been taking was to screw it in, then attempt to use brute strength to pull the cork out. This wasn't working, even though I've been doing my push-ups. Finally I figured out that the key is just to keep screwing. The cork gets destroyed in the process, as shown here, but you can't be worried about niceties like a few bits of cork in your wine when you're fighting for survival in the woods.

The reason I needed to break out the camping equipment is that NCSV accidentally broke my corkscrew when she was visiting. It wasn't much of a loss--I think I'd bought it for $.50 at a garage sale--but I missed it last night when I wanted to pour myself a glass of $3 Chuck and watch Death in Venice.

It turned out I was correct in assuming it was a movie best enjoyed with a glass of wine. It was made in 1971 and the pacing was pretty glacial. It tackled heady questions such as the relationship between art, purity, and beauty, but for me the questions raised were more along the lines of:

-Did people really dress like that in 1971?
-Why is the Polish family speaking French?
-So that guy was married before he was gay?
-Why is he bleeding from the head?
-What inspired me to get this movie, anyway?

The first question was answered when I watched the extras: the movie takes place in 1911. Whew. For the rest, I can only conclude that I was a little out of my depth with this masterpiece of Italian cinema.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need a man. A man would have been able to pull it out. :) In fact I think stuff like this is the primary reason women keep men around. Corks, getting stuff off of tall shelves, and to open tight jars.

papaya odyssey said...

In these dry times, I would suffer through any movie if only to be able to wet my lips with a good glass of red wine!

Anonymous said...

"A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse---
and Thou Beside me singing in the Wilderness---
And Wilderness is Paradise now."

Well, I don't know that it's why we keep MEN around.

But, lacking in other fine qualities, it might be why people keep GREG around. Good for grunt work.....not much of a conversationalist.......

;)