Monday, October 16, 2006

Shenandoah


This weekend, on a whim, I rented a car and headed into rural Virginia. I stayed at a B&B south of Madison, drove around, looked at trees, and read the current book-club book. Sunday morning I went for a 4-mile hike in Shenandoah National Park.

It was really lovely. I realized that since my weekend in Western Maryland at the end of August I've only left DC to go to other cities--New York and Baltimore, to be exact--or the Maryland suburbs. I think I should make a point of taking advantage of my Zipcar membership at least once a month.

In other (not unrelated) news, my DVD player seems to have finally given up the ghost. Since I've blown my budget on a new computer, it will have to function as a DVD player until I feel ready for big electronic purchases again. And don't leave me comments about how DVD players cost $40--I want a non-crappy one this time.

3 comments:

towwas said...

You could come to my house and watch DVDs. Although by the time you did that a few times with Zipcar, you could have paid for a crappy DVD player to tide you over. So never mind.

Anonymous said...

You can get a really crappy DVD player on sale at Best Buy for $25+tax.

Just sayin' ;)

Paul said...

My sister worked several summers at Skyland Lodge in Shenandoah. Really beautiful territory. And If anything was every going to make me want to ride a motorcycle, it would be the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge parkways.